Cold weather is here and as the temperature continues to drop, our skin can suffer and become less hydrated and dry, as we all adjust to the impending wintery weather.
Tammy Yaiser, Vice President of product development at Algenist, a rejuvenating, award-winning skincare line that explores the effective use of algae, gives us some exclusive skincare tips; Telling us how we can keep our skin soft, supple, healthy and super hydrated this season and in the colder months.
Algenist products use patented Alguronic Acid and pride themselves off their mission, to offer visible and measurable anti-aging results in just 10 days. Find out Tammy’s top three tips we all need this season.
How Should You Change Your Skincare Routine from Summer to Fall and to Winter?
- As temperature and humidity levels fall, skin can become more prone to dryness. Add central heating, wood burning stoves, space heaters and fireplaces into the mix, and you can have an even more challenging situation. Keep in mind that your own skin needs can vary depending on these conditions, so this is a good time to re-assess your moisturizer to make sure it has ample emollients, humectants and hydration to get you through the fall and winter.
- Another great way to get through the winter months is to use a hydrating mist. A well-formulated mist packed with lightweight micro-fine hydrators used throughout the day can go a long way to keeping skin at its most hydrated, dewy best without disturbing your makeup.
- We love: Algenist SPLASH Hydrating Setting Mist
Keep Doing This All Year Round:
- As colder weather sets in, you may be tempted to turn up the temperature in the bath or shower. Hot water and long showers or baths remove oils from your skin, so best to use warm – rather than hot – water
- A healthy diet not only helps you feel your best, but also look your best. Some research suggests that a diet rich in vitamins and low in unhealthy fats, sugar, and processed or refined carbohydrates can help promote younger looking skin.
- Elevated or uncontrolled stress can make your skin more sensitive and trigger acne, breakouts or other skin problems. To encourage a healthy state-of-mind and healthy skin, take steps to manage your stress. Scale back on your to-do list, make time for exercise, make doing things you enjoy a priority and don’t skimp on your sleep.
- Sunscreen – it’s really, really important!! The worst bad skin habit in any season is unprotected sun exposure. If you’re not using SPF 365 days of the year, anti-aging products become a waste of money, because even the most advanced anti-aging formulations are at a disadvantage if you damage your skin in the sun. Remember, sun damage ages your skin, regardless of the date on the calendar. Take your good summer sunscreen habits right into the fall.
What Dry Skin Is Trying to Tell You:
If you’re experiencing dryness, your skin may be trying to tell you something. Skin will become dry, lose elasticity and feel rough if the outermost layer doesn’t contain enough water. If you have dry skin, it may be time to re-evaluate some of your habits to help maintain hydrated skin:
- Use a gentle cleanser instead of soap (We love: Algenist Purifying & Replenishing Cleanser)
- Avoid using skincare products with alcohol
- Apply moisturizer immediately after a bath or shower and regularly throughout the day
- Avoid prolonged contact with hot water
- Consider using a humidifier
- We love: Algenist GENIUS Ultimate Anti-Aging Cream and new ALIVE Prebiotic Balancing Moisturizer SPF 15
We can’t wait to indulge in some ‘me’ time and try some of these products on our skin throughout this season. Dry skin and sore lips always take over at this time of year, so looking after ourselves is more of a priority than ever! You can see all the Algenist’s skin products on their website: https://www.algenist.com