The process of cleansing, toning, masking, peeling and moisturizing is key to maintaining beautiful and healthy looking skin, period. In addition, diligence and consistency, along with the right products for your skin type can mean the end of your skin care struggles. Easier said than done, right? But, it’s not that difficult. And, what’s more, if you really want your skin to look and feel its best, you’ll care and treat it accordingly.
Keep up with the best resources to living your best life in NYC in the pages of BELLA NYC Magazine by subscribing now.
Though they may vary slightly based on skin type, when cleansing, here are 10 skin care commandments that will empower your routine. Of course we’re not perfect, so it’s ok to break them every once in a while.
1. Wash with a gentle cleanser, using a Clarisonic brush or other sonic type brush. I’ve been using this brush for four years. The sonic brushes are great for deep, gentle cleansing.
2. Drink lots of water; at least 8ozs per day to rehydrate you skins’ cells.
3. Use a gentle toner to get rid of residual bacteria and restore the skin’s ph balance.
4. Use a vitamin C serum at night. It contains antioxidants that fight free radicals and maintain collagen production for firmer skin.
4. Apply topical acne treatment if one has been prescribed.
5. Apply a night cream to moisturize and restore and repair your skin while you rest.
6. Use an oil control mask every other night to control oil build up and congestion. Those with normal skin can do this once or twice per week.
7. Use an exfoliating peel 2 to 3 times per week. This is big, and necessary, especially if you have scarring and hyperpigmentation. The peels will exfoliate and also remove excess oil and congestion. Over time you will see a signifiant improvement in discoloration and a more even skin tone.
8. Pillow cases are major skin saboteurs (stay tuned for the Skin saboteurs post). What’s on them transfers back to your face. It may be too much to do this every night, so flip your pillow case every other night and change it on the fifth night to avoid bacterial build up and cross contamination.
9. MUY IMPORTANTE!! Use an SPF moisturizer of 30 or more to prevent premature wrinkling, and for protection against harmful UVA and UVB rays, which can cause skin cancer.
10. Visit thy dermatologist: If you suffer from adult/hormonal acne or any type of stubborn acne problem, and nothing you try is working, you should consult a dermatologist. Together, you should be able to come up with an appropriate regimen that’s ideal and effective for your skin type issue.
What are your skin care commandments? Let us know in the comment section. We’d love to hear from you.