Back to school season is underway, but that doesn’t just mean new looks for the little ones. It’s a great season to take care of the summer’s effects on your skin and hair, clean out those closets, invest in statement pieces, and think of ways to jazz up a wardrobe soon to be characterized by chunky knits and dark prints. The best way? Lipstick, of course!
Lipstick is one of those magical beauty tools that can instantly propel a look from 0 to 100. Take a simple tee and denim, for instance. It’s a comfy, casual look, but pair it with a necklace and add a bright pop of lipstick color and you’re ready for a night out!
It’s always great to have the classic neutral colors in your beauty arsenal— think pale pinks and peachy hues as go-tos for everyday ensembles, the office, and laid-back weekends. But this fall, it’s all about adding color to your beauty bag to amp up those fall wardrobes that tend to focus on black, deep browns, plums, and olives.
Break out of your standard naked lip routine and start the season off with a pop by trying these 10 Must-Have Lipstick Shades:
1. Honolulu Honey by NARS ($26) easily fashions satin, moist-looking lips. If you’re armed with a staple balm or simple gloss, this flesh-toned beige will have others wonder what you’re wearing.
2. Creme Cup by MAC ($15) will instantly become your go-to pale pink hue. It’s subtle, yet sweet and provides just enough to pull a look together in under 10 seconds.
3. Barbarella by NARS ($26) is a great, sheer peachy pink to use as an everyday shade. It goes one jump beyond subtle, while still exuding understated beauty.
4. Smooth, soft, and hydrating, the Passion Duo Lipstick by Dolce & Gabbana ($35) leaves lips with a sumptuous depth and scale of color. Spring for the Delight 30 Pink Coral shade for a lovely pink hue laced with a bit of an orange edge.
5. Wouldn’t it be great if you could combine lipstick, gloss, and balm in one tiny tube? Well, with Josie Maran Argan Love Your Lips Hydrating Lipstick ($22), you can! The Coral Delight hue, a bright tangerine, is sure to become a fall favorite!
6. Moving more into coral reds, ROUGE VOLUPTÉ Silky Sensual Radiant Lipstick SPF 15 by Yves Saint Laurent ($34) adds color as well as plumps, smooths, shines lips. Try the lipstick in Extreme Coral for a deeper orange-red that packs a punch against fall foliage.
7. Fiore Hot Pink by Stila ($22) is virtually weightless on the lips and produces long-lasting results. Stila Stay All Day® Liquid Lipstick uses a bold, color-rich formula and provides up to six hours of continuous wear.
8. Easily found in any drugstore, Maybelline Color Sensational Lipcolor in Red Revolution ($6) is the token bright red every woman needs in her beauty arsenal. If matte is more your style, try Illamasqua Lipstick in Maneater ($24). It’s classic red color and sassy name say it all.
9. Vivid bright hues on the lips this fall will create an entourage of showstoppers. Maybelline Colorsensational® Vivids boast a creamy texture with brighter, more eye-catching colors. Highly recommended this season? No. 865 Fuchsia Flash ($6).
10. And if you’d like to reach for a fuchsia, but prefer a hue just a touch deeper, Hot Plum from Maybelline Colorsensational® Vivids ($6) is the staple shade that’s been on your mind.