Everyone who truly knows me, knows that my favorite oil is coconut oil. And, touting its benefits is a must, because it’s been a part of my skin care regimen since I was born. But most importantly however, I boast about it because the multitasking benefits of this oil is simply incredible.
Back in my village in Trinidad, there is still an endless supply of coconut trees and therefore, lots of coconut water and coconut fruit available for consumption and extraction. To date, my grandmother still extracts oil in the kitchen to keep the family well stocked. I could go on and on about how great and nutritive this oil is but, I won’t. Instead, I’ve complied 10 of its wonderful benefits.
1. It’s an excellent massage oil, moisturizer and skin softener, that prevents drying and flaking of the skin.
2. It’s a wrinkle reducer, which prevents premature aging.
3. It helps to treat skin afflictions such as eczema and psoriasis.
4. It’s a wonderful hair conditioner. When applied topically, it provides nutrition for the scalp. It treats and repairs damaged hair and can even prevent dandruff and lice.
5. Due to the high levels of antioxidants, it can also ward of degenerative diseases.
**When ingested, coconut oil can:
6. Reduce LDLs (bad lipoproteins) and increases HDLs (good lipoproteins), which means that it can improve overall cholesterol.
8. Strengthen the immune system.
9. Treat irratiatable bowel syndrome.
10. Aid in healing cuts and bruises, and because of its anti-microbal and anti-viral properties, it’s believed to kill some bacteria and fungi in and on the body.
Have you used coconut oil? What do you think of it’s abilities? Leave a comment below.