Dr. Tara Allmen, a board-certified gynecologist and North American Menopause Society (NAMS) Certified Menopause Practitioner, is a leading expert in menopause. (You may have seen her discussing the topic on “The Dr. Oz Show” and “Good Morning America,” among others). Her book, “Menopause Confidential: A Doctor Reveals the Secrets to Thriving Through Midlife,” is an essential read for all women.
We sat down with Dr. Allmen to garner advice on how to detect the signs of perimenopause and how to embrace – instead of just endure – these inevitable midlife changes.
“It Feels Like a Roller Coaster”
Dr. Allmen explains that when women start to experience a change in their menstrual cycles, it can feel like a “hormonal roller coaster ride.” You might be experiencing the beginning stages of perimenopause (aka “the menopausal transition”) if you’ve had hot flashes, night sweats, brain fog, sleep disruption, fatigue, moodiness, decreased interest in sex, weight gain, and you’re no longer feeling like yourself.
What to Do If You’re Going Through “The Changes”
1. Know that you can’t delay your midlife transition, nor should you try.
2. Embrace this normal part of life.
3. Maximize your overall health and wellness by eating healthy, exercising daily, maintaining a normal weight, quitting cigarettes, and smiling more.
4. Find a health care professional who focuses on midlife women’s health.
5. Honor sleep and always choose going to bed early vs. staying up late.
PQ: “Use it as a time to start making better lifestyle choices and go after new adventures you’ve put off for years.” ~Dr. Allmen