Try your artistic hand and get Ruby Rose’s edgy look that she rocked at the launch of Urban Decay’s Jean-Michel Basquiat Collection. It’s not just Urban Decay who loves Basquiat… although the brand didn’t know it when they signed her, their muse, Ruby Rose, loves Basquiat so much she had his portrait tattooed on her arm and his iconic crown on her chest. Here’s the rundown on how to get the look.
Artist: Jo Baker
Inspiration: “Brush stippled smoky cat eye with brazen blast of neon green!”
Ruby wore all black to showcase the bright and artistic colors of the new collection. In order to accomplish her vision, Baker wanted to create a smoky eye with an artistic, textured, brushed finish around the top and bottom lash line. To make the look pop, she also added a blast of neon green liner and a burst of pink color on the lid.
Step by Step:
1. Using the UD Pro Flat Eyeshadow Brush, apply a light layer of Anti-Aging Eyeshadow Primer Potion across eyelid. Blend Eyeshadow in LES from the Basquiat Tenant Palette with the UD Pro Finger Brush into the crease of the lid and wing outward to create a hazy effect.
2. Generously line inner corners of eye with 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Post Punk. Then, layer Eyeshadow in EXU from the Basquiat Tenant Palette into lash line to make last.
3. With the UD Pro Large Eyeshadow Brush, sweep Eyeshadow in Levitation from the Basquiat Gold Griot Palette across middle of lid to blend the colors.
4. To create the artsy texture in the look, apply Perversion Mascara then use the end of the wand and stipple splotches of mascara onto the dark eyeshadow near the root of the upper and lower lash lines.
5. Using the UD PRO Contour Definition Brush, swipe Jawbone from the Gallery Blush Palette to sculpt cheeks and add subtle warmth to balance out the strong eye.
6. Complete the look by swiping Vice Lipstick in Abstract for a natural finish.
7. For a party, use the UD Pro Large Eyeshadow Brush to apply Eyeshadow in 1960 to the middle of the eyelid.
Urban Decay Jean-Michel Basquiat Collection
From the colors and the shade names to the packaging, everything in the UD Jean-Michel Basquiat special edition collaboration evolved from the work of this groundbreaking artist. Like Urban Decay, Basquiat was an outsider who challenged the status quo and used color in nontraditional ways. From his informal graffiti work and the way he mixed mediums and colors to the way he spoke out against social injustice, it’s hard to imagine a more perfect fit for the brand.
The new and exclusive collection includes two eyeshadow palettes (one neutral and one bright), a blush palette, three shades of 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil, and three shades of Vice Lipstick—all housed in mini reproductions of Basquiat’s artwork. The nine products from the collection are also available in a limited-edition vault.
When you’re done with the shades inside, hangers on the back of the palette cases and vault can be used to create your own gallery wall. $17-$165, UrbanDecay.com